Saturday, August 17, 2013

invest in people

I've always been one who wanted deeper relationships with people, and often have been upset when it didn't just happen like I expected it would.  I would be too shy or insecure to get to know people myself, so I wished that they would talk to me instead.  Not so effective.

I'm still learning how to be a better friend to people.  And how to make those surface relationships deeper. But I am learning.

This blog has been making me think about it differently lately, which is perfect timing since school is about to start again and new friendships are all over the place.  So for all of you going back to school or starting college or just looking to be a better friend, don't leave yet!  (And if you have time, read the whole post on The Beless Family blog.  It's great.)

What I keep thinking about is to be the kind of friend that you wish you had.  Love people well.  Pursue them.  Get to know them and let them get to know you.  Don't be too shy to write a card or invite someone along or give a hug.

Wouldn't you love a friend like that?  I know I would. I'm blessed to say that I have some!  But I also know that there are people that I would like to be a better friend to.

So here's my challenge for you and for me this week/month/year/forever...
if you're looking to take care of yourself well, consider being an intentional friend who lovingly pursues the people you care about.  See what a difference it makes.

1 comment: