Monday, February 10, 2014

cozy crochet scarf

Since there's been so much snow and freezing weather where I'm at, I decided it was time to whip up another scarf!  This one took me about three hours to make- maybe not even that. I did it over the course of two days.  It is 102 inches long (including fringe) and can comfortably wrap around my neck once or twice.  I used two skeins of Lion Brand Hometown USA super bulky yarn in Aspen Tweed and one skein of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick super bulky yarn in Oatmeal.

To start, make a row of chain stitches however long you want the scarf to be.  Then continue on to the next row with single crochet stitches.  If you need to learn how to do the single crochet stitch, this video is a great place to start.  

At the end of the row of single crochet stitches (row 2), do a single chain stitch, turn your work, and repeat row 2 for the rest of the scarf.

As you can see, my scarf is a slightly different color in the middle.  So the first skein is used for the first row of chain stitches and four rows of single crochet stitch.  The second skein is used for the next seven rows of single crochet stitch.  The last skein is used for the final four rows of single crochet stitch.  

At the end, cut the yarn to about five inches and finish with a chain stitch.  Pull the yarn all the way through to make a knot.  
To make the fringe, cut ten inch pieces of yarn.  To make one tassel, fold two pieces of yarn in half, put the loop through a space on the end of the scarf, and pull the ends of the pieces through the loop to make a knot.  Repeat as many times as you would like to make the fringe.  I made five tassels on each side.

Once you get all the fringe to the length you want it, you're done!  I hope after this, you'll be able to keep a little bit warmer!

2 comments:

  1. Love this scarf! Enjoying your blog & feel blessed to have your family as neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your scarf, I try to follow your explication, but it does not work ... is that this is the single crochet on every row ... or make a back loop?

    (sorry I do not speak English very well)

    ReplyDelete