Tuesday, March 18, 2014

my body is mad at me

Starting to be intentional about working out was one of the best and worst decisions I've made for myself.

The best because I noticed that after a couple weeks of consistent exercise, my mind starts to feel clearer.  I carry myself more confidently.  I feel strong.  My anxiety lessens.  I am energized.  My thoughts toward myself are kinder.  Feeling like that is the best.

This week has not been one of those weeks.  I haven't taken care of my body well.  Chocolate, cookies, candy? Sure! Do I want to go to the gym? Psh, maybe next time...

Here's when I realized the worst part of working out for me.  My body likes it.  It craves it. When I neglect it, my body gets mad at me.  Shoot.  That is the worst.

So I've spent this week feeling drained, bouncing back and forth between being lightheaded and having a headache.  (As it turns out, the headaches were actually my body getting sick.  So maybe go to a doctor if you're feeling like that.)  And anyone who knows me well can tell you that they can tell if I'm not taking care of my body by the way I treat them. My mind and body suffers.

I'm more convinced now than ever of the connection between our bodies and our minds.

When I don't feel like working out, I want to remember that I am my most caring, confident, and healthy self when I have made time for exercise.

Counterproductive as it may seem, if you are feeling tired or busy or stressed out or anxious, try making time for exercise.  This week will be better for me because I will.

(If you're not sure where to start, you can take a bike ride, walk on a treadmill, swim laps, find a group exercise class near you, or check out the blogilates youtube channel.  They'll all help.  I like following the youtube videos because they're quick, most of them can be done with no equipment, and many of them can be done in a dorm room.)

No comments:

Post a Comment